2 leather strip that forms the flexible part of a whip [syn: thong]
1 beat severely with a whip or rod; "The teacher often flogged the students"; "The children were severely trounced" [syn: flog, welt, whip, lather, slash, strap, trounce]
2 lash or flick about sharply; "The lion lashed its tail"
3 strike as if by whipping; "The curtain whipped her face" [syn: whip]
4 bind with a rope, chain, or cord; "lash the horse" [ant: unlash]
- SAMPA: /l
Lash is usually used in reference to a whip.
Lash or lashing may also refer to:
- An eyelash
- Rapid and prolonged consumption of alcoholic beverages, such as White Lightining (Example: "Let's go on the lash"; "I got incredibly lashed last night")
- Lash (band), an all-female alternative/punk rock band from Perth, Australia
- Lash, a mechanical genius and the head weapons designer in Advance Wars 2 and Advance Wars: Dual Strike
- Lash, Afghanistan, a place in Afghanistan
- Lashing (ropework), a means of attaching two or objects with rope
- A form of torture involving a whip.
- Backlash (engineering) see also engineering tolerance
LASH is an acronym for:
- Lighter Aboard Ship, a system of water transport
- Littoral Airborne Sensor/Hyperspectral, an imaging system developed by the United States Navy
- the recursive acronym for LASH Audio Session Handler, a session management system for audio applications on GNU/Linux computer operating system.
- Los Angeles SWAT Headset, a communication device consisting of a microphone and an earpiece, primarily designed for use by the Los Angeles Police Department Special Weapons And Tactics team.
- Local Asynchronus Sattilite Hookup, a Z-Code game by Paul O'Brian
anchor, assail, attack, band, bandage, baste, bastinado, bawl out, beat, belabor, belt, bend, berate, bind, bind up, birch, blacksnake, blister, blow, boil, bolt, box, brace, bridle, buffet, bullwhack, bullwhip, bundle, cage, cane, cast anchor, castigate, cat, chain, charge, chase, chew out, cilia, cinch, club, come to anchor, corral, cowhide, criticize, crop, cudgel, cuff, cut, dash, disembark, do up, dock, drench, drive, drop the hook, drove, drub, enchain, entrammel, excoriate, fasten, fetter, fix, flagellate, flagellum, flail, flap, flay, fling, flog, fustigate, gad, gadfly, gird, girdle, girt, girth, give a whipping, give the stick, goad, gyve, hamper, handcuff, herd, hide, hobble, hog-tie, hopple, horsewhip, jaw, kedge, kedge off, knout, kurbash, lace, lambaste, lash and tie, lather, lay anchor, lay on, leash, make fast, manacle, moor, needle, nudge, oxgoad, peg down, picket, pin down, pinion, pistol-whip, poke, pommel, prick, prod, pummel, punch cattle, punish, put in irons, quirt, race, rawhide, razor strap, restrain, ride herd on, roast, rope, round up, rowel, scarify, scathe, scold, scorch, scourge, secure, shackle, shepherd, shoot, sjambok, skin alive, slap, slash, smack, smite, spank, splice, spur, sting, straitjacket, strap, strike, stripe, stroke, swaddle, swathe, swinge, switch, tear, teem, tether, thong, thrash, thump, thwack, tie, tie down, tie up, tongue-lash, trammel, trounce, truncheon, truss, upbraid, vituperate, wag, waggle, wallop, wave, wear out, whack, whale, whip, whiplash, whop, wire, wrangle, wrap, wrap up